jueves, 6 de septiembre de 2012

Increíbles Paralímpicos


Comparto con vosotros un blog que escribí en nuestra página de intranet del trabajo...

Last time I wrote I shared with you the excitement that we all experienced in London with the Olympic Games. As I said, the excitement and party atmosphere continue with the Paralympic Games…

… and how amazing they have been so far, at home we are totally addicted!

And did you know that it all started in London? Yes, the first organised athletic event for disabled athletes that coincided with the Olympic Games took place on the day of the opening of the 1948 Olympics, here in London.

They were hosted by an interesting character, Sir Ludwig Guttmann, from the Stoke Mandeville Hospital, who brought together a small group of British World War II veteran patients with spinal chord injuries to compete against each other. And more than 60 years later, London hosts the Games again, but this time to welcome over 4,000 athletes from 164 countries.


I have been fascinated with the Paralympic Games ever since, back in 1992, I was a volunteer for both the Olympics and Paralympics (see the photo above, at the closing ceremony of the Barcelona Paralympics: third one sitting from the left, a mere twenty years ago!).



At the Barcelona ’92 Paralympic Games I was asked to work as a Chinese and English interpreter at press conferences and at special briefings for the judges, referees and umpires of the different sports. I was given a massive handbook on the different regulations and categories under each sport to learn… I hadn’t realised how complex and diverse paralympic sports are! It was a great experience which I enjoyed hugely.


20 years on, and my husband and I are glued to the TV every night watching different sports events… on Friday, we have tickets for some mega exciting athletics action at the Olympic Stadium and we will take our 2-year-old son with us so that he can experience the excitement!

Someone said that the Olympics provided us with great excitement and thrill. The Paralympians, in my opinion, offer us so much more – they give us the excitement, the thrill, as well a source of awe and inspiration. These guys are truly unbelievable.

And while I am at it, congratulations to our own British Council Paralympian, Susie Rodgers, who so far got two medals! Well done!

Y España lleva 28... genial!


3 comentarios:

  1. Yo alucino con ellos, son un claro ejemplo a seguir... la mayoría de las veces se me caen hasta las lágrimas!
    Saludos (Danygirl)

    yapagalaluz.blogspot.com

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Son seres especiales que nos dejan un ejemplo cada día
    Y con ellos sus padres que son el estímulo permanente
    Besos

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Asistí a la inauguración en Bcn'92, aún recuerdo los lagrimones que me caían.

    Petó

    ResponderEliminar

Muchas gracias por pasarte por "Tres Cosas Hermosas" y dejarnos un comentario!